Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) was formed in Kolkata in 1946 under the leadership of Dr. Dara P. Antia, who was then Chief Metallurgist of Indian Aluminum Co. The IIM is over 60 years old premier professional Metallurgical Institute set up to promote and advance the study and practice of the Science and the art of making and treating of metals and alloys and to promote just an honourable practice in Metallurgical profession. The space for its office at Calcutta was provided by Tata Steel. The Institute was inaugurated on 29 December 1947 at the Royal Asiatic Society Hall, Calcutta. The institute has chapters in almost all important towns and cities of India.